Starting a WordPress Website is always a fun but finding the right webhost can be an interesting adventure. This can be even more adventurous when you host MultiSite WordPress website. Usually, people choose Shared Hosting to host their WordPress websites, when they are new to blogging because it’s cheap and easy to set up.
Shared web hosting is undoubtedly the most popular hosting option used by WordPress users today. But before making any decisions, we recommend you to go through this article so you can make the best decision to choose your WordPress website host.
It does not matter, how many WordPress websites you have built so far; Web Hosting platform must be tailored to fit your needs while delivering a smooth experience to visitors.
Shared Hosting for WordPress Websites
As we discussed earlier, Shared web hosting could be the most widely used hosting option. But people often do not understand what does Shared WordPress hosting really means??? Because, hosts often use catchy and somewhat misleading phrases like “ Unmetered, Unlimited, Cheap, Affordable ” on plan page to attract customers.
When it comes to choose shared web hosting, most people look at list of available features. But the fact is, customers don’t use majority of available features in their whole service period. Therefore, choosing WebHost on the basis of feature list won’t help you at all.
It is a common web hosting gimmick that webhosts bloat their feature list by adding the most obvious things. Because, end customer would never know industry’s marketing tricks. Almost all shared hosting companies offer the same plan under different names. While choosing a good host, the only thing you should consider is reputation of webhost in industry.
Hosting your WordPress website in shared hosting is good idea when you are just starting out. If your website is popular enough to gain more traffic and start using more server resource, then you may receive an email from WebHost asking you to upgrade.
In such cases, you will have to migrate your WordPress blog in bigger space. This is the most common mistake everyone does when they start WordPress website. It is better to choose appropriate hosting platform anticipating the traffic and resource usage.
Disadvantages of Hosting WordPress website in Shared Server
- If your neighbor websites have not taken appropriate security measurements, attackers can potentially use them to gain access over other websites hosted on the same server.
- You may notice relatively slower server response times compared to other hosting options such as VPS or Dedicated server.
- When you are just getting started, you do not need root access. But going further, you will reach a point where without root level access, you will not be able to take or restore backups, install software, and even do some services upgrades.
- Server resource overselling is the major concern in Shared Web hosting. It causes frequent website downtime, disk I/O problems, slow website response and lagging.
- Slow response and frequent downtime will eventually lead adversely affect your blog/website in search engine optimization.
- Shared hosting providers do not allow you to run third party scripts. i.e. if you write or purchase any custom script you will probably not be able to run it on shared hosting environment.
You will not be able to adjust settings such as maximum file upload size, application memory limit etc. in shared hosting.
Virtual Private Servers (VPS)
While you have outgrown shared hosting, your host may recommend next hosting option “VPS Hosting”…. you would probably think that VPS are difficult to setup and more expensive than Shared Hosting. But, it is utter misbelief. At AccuWebhosting, we provide the most affordable and reliable VPS hosting services for as little as $8 a month.
Unlike shared hosting, a VPS is virtually isolated environment comes with guaranteed system resources such as RAM, CPU, Disk space and Bandwidth. Hence, another VPS of same physical machine won’t affect the performance of your VPS. This will ensure your WordPress website will pretty much smoother regardless of bad neighbors.
In case, your website grown even bigger, you will have option to upgrade your VPS to more powerful plan in few minutes. No unnecessary migration required.
Some shared hosting lovers would still think, “I am just a WordPress blogger, I do not possess the skills to manage VPS”. To setup a WordPress blog, you don’t have to be kind of computer savvy. With the help of tools like Microsoft Web Platform Installer, Microsoft Web Application Gallery you can easily setup WordPress within few mouse clicks.
While all VPS providers are strict on belief that customer is solely responsible for his/her VPS, Accuwebhosting offers all VPS plans with basic support. At this point, you may ask, “What does VPS have that shared Hosting do not? Let’s list out benefits of hosting WordPress in Windows VPS.
- You will have full administrative access to your VPS. You can manage the whole web hosting environment.
- Since you own the VPS , you can tweak VPS security settings as per your requirements.
- You can build your own custom WordPress hosting environment.
- You can make your maximum upload size as large or small as you want, tweak how the server handles certain requests, and pretty much anything you want to adjust.
- You can run your desired custom scripts or any third party scripts.
Shared vs Windows VPS WordPress Hosting Conclusion
After going through this article; probably, you would go with VPS Hosting to host your WordPress website. There is no need to compromise your website performance for oversold shared hosting when you can get dedicated resources at almost same price .
We strongly recommend to host your WordPress blog in a dedicated environment like Virtual Private Server. With VPS you can start at a low level resource plan, and see how it goes. If it is not robust enough to handle your traffic, you can quickly move up to the next level easily.
Latest posts by Rahul Vaghasia (see all)
- The Most Valuable 30 Live Chat with Screen Sharing Software - December 11, 2018
- The 10 Best Live Chat Software Solutions Compared - July 12, 2017
- Top 5 High Availability Dedicated Server Solutions - June 22, 2017