Wireframe tools can be used to design websites, web apps, dashboards, interfaces, or mobile and web applications. The wireframe is a website’s basic structure. Tools help with visualization. Senior developers, business analysts, visual designers, UI/UX engineers, and business analysts create wireframes in a project.
Wireframes are intended to demonstrate the main functionality and behavior of a page, not its formatting or graphics. Information design (or the order and prioritization information), navigation design (links between pages, etc.) are the main elements of a wireframe. Interface design (allowing users to interact with website content) is another important element. Wireframe tools are designed to cover all of these elements quickly and easily.
What Makes a Good Tool?
A wireframe is basically a prototype of the screen or a mockup. The wireframe tool should produce a mockup that is as close to the final design as possible. Before you choose a wireframe tool to help with your project, here are some things to think about:
- Good user experience: Does the UI look well-designed? Are users able to find relevant content and links easily? Can they navigate easily?
- Unique features: What are the unique features of the tool? Are there interactive elements, for example? Is the tool able to collaborate with others by adding comments and attaching files? Is it possible to drag and drop elements or move them easily? It can be integrated with other tools. Are wireframes easily converted to presentations for clients?
- The learning curve: Is it effortless to use the tool? Are the documents comprehensive? Is the community active and responsive? What about technical support?
- Value for money: If it’s a paid job, is it worthwhile? Are there different types of wireframes? Can the pricing be flexible?
Top Wireframe Tools
This comprehensive list includes both paid and free tools. It is a daunting task considering the sheer number of available. These are our top picks.
Visio is the most popular and intuitive tool for creating flowcharts and floor plans, organizational charts, and many other diagrams. It allows you to easily and rapidly create complex data centers architectures, IT diagrams, or network diagrams. Visio provides analytics for budgeting, headcount and helps you track the staff directory. You can try it for free and subscribe monthly or annually. It is also available as part of Microsoft 365.
- Visio makes it easy to visualize Excel data.
- PowerBI integration is possible to create dashboards that provide powerful data insights.
- Real-time update of flowcharts in real-time when data changes.
- Data linking to multiple data sources and custom visualizations is easy.
- Anyone can view MS Visio drawings using the Microsoft Visio Viewer.
- Collaborating with other teams to gain collective insights and make business decisions from all stakeholders.
Apart from the free trial, Visio has four types of plans for you:
- Visio Plan 1 brings you limited features for $6/month. It’s $5/month with annual billing.
- A standard license of Visio for 1 PC costs $280
- Visio Plan 2 with more advanced features costs $18/month or $15/month if you bill annually.
- Visio Professional license for 1 PC costs $530.
FluidUI is a great wireframe tool that can be used for web and mobile prototypes. It’s intuitive and easy to use, and it creates prototypes in a matter of minutes. It can be used to create low- and high-fidelity apps for web platforms as well as other Android and iOS devices. You can use it to access the cloud, integrate widgets, zoom, and interactive linking, as well as collaboration tools. It is cloud-based, so you can instantly save your work and share it with anyone.
- It is possible to link your prototypes visually, and you can access them from anywhere with the app or the browser.
- You can speed up prototyping by using pre-built UI kits (more than 2000).
- You can instantly share changes with your team, and you can also use live video calling to generate and implement ideas simultaneously.
- It’s possible to easily test the prototypes anywhere you are using your smartphone or other handheld devices.
- FluidUI is used by top companies such as Google, LinkedIn, and eBay.
- Supports unlimited users and prototypes
There are 3 plans for you depending on your needs:
- Solo with limited features starting at $8.25/month, or $99/year
- Pro allows you to share your work with others and can be complemented by comments. Available at $19.08/month, or $229/year
- For $41.58/month or $499/year, you can team up to collaborate on projects. Unlimited access features are available.
InVision is a powerful tool for mockups, but it’s also fun and interesting to use. The tool lets you draw freely and allows you to show off your talents in the best way possible. The shared online whiteboard allows the whole team to collaborate and work in real-time. With toolsets such as Sketch, Photoshop, Microsoft Teams, and Sketch, you can easily integrate. There are many templates available, including stand-ups, brainstorming sessions, retro meets, and icebreaker meetings.
- Cloud-based design
- You can create quick prototypes for any product, meeting, or event with the free version.
- Mobile devices and browsers allow teams to collect feedback during the product design process.
- Freehand can be used to create low- and medium-fidelity designs. It can also be integrated with advanced design tools.
- Collaboration is very smooth and takes little time. It’s also hassle-free. This allows for more time to discuss ideas.
- Different colors and opacity with line tools allow for different levels of connection. They also help to categorize ideas.
- It’s easy to use and doesn’t demand training.
There are three plans available:
- For beginners and small groups, you can access 3 documents and unlimited freehand.
- For $7.95/month/per person with annual billing, or $9.95 per month, you can get cross-collaborative teams for unlimited documents, collaboration, and Design System Management (DSM).
- Enterprise includes advanced features such as DSM, team management, and security features that can be used for larger projects and organizations. Enterprise version cost is customized and depends on the individual/organization demands.
A whiteboard online platform that allows you to collaborate with others in your team. Unlimited team members can be added, and you can access up to three boards free of charge. To access the free version, you can sign in using Slack, Google, or Office 365. Miro assists with brainstorming, design, wireframes, and strategic planning. It also helps with sprint planning, visual mapping, diagrams, and sprint planning. Miro helps teams work more efficiently because there are now more distributed teams.
- Users can also create their own templates and smart frameworks from a variety of pre-built templates.
- There are many utility widgets such as a smart drawing, freeform pen, and sticky notes.
- Allows for synchronous and asynchronous collaborations via embedded video, chats, and comments. Easy screen sharing and presentations are also possible.
- Remote teams can use centralized, standardized communication to accelerate cross-functional collaboration.
- Voting, screen-share, timer, and timer allow the team to maximize time and increase thoughts flow.
- Enterprise-level security and privacy, as well as advanced controls to improve administrative management.
Miro has many plans available:
- Access to 3 editable boards, core Integrations, and pre-defined templates is free.
- For $8/month/member, or $10 per month if billed monthly, you get unlimited boards, private boards sharing, custom templates, and Jira integrations. A remote meeting toolkit is also available.
- For larger teams with more than 20 members, Business at $16 is the best option. It includes full functionality, Single Log On (SSO), external editors, and other features.
- For companies that require enterprise-grade workflows and controls, as well as integrations, custom pricing is the best option.
5. Adobe XD
Adobe XD is a vast collection of templates and tools for wireframe and UI design. They are widely used for prototyping and mock-ups. It has many great features such as cardboards, 3D transforms, multiple artboards, and bootstrap-style grids. You can also use it to create interactive prototypes with contextual layer panels and other Adobe products. It can be used for web and mobile apps.
- Interoperability: You can open files from other Adobe products such as Photoshop, Illustrator, and Sketch. Password protection is available for security.
- Available for Windows and iOS. Supports Android versions for mobile view.
- External plugins are supported to add additional features.
- Responsive resize allows content to be automatically adjusted based on the device being used.
- You can get instant feedback with built-in sharing tools.
- It is easy to convert static designs into interactive prototypes by adding animations and testing the same across devices.
There are two types: individual and business plans.
- There are three options for individual plans. The starter plan is free. For $9.99 per month, the Single app XD is available to professionals and small teams. The 20+ All Apps Package, which includes Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, and XD, is $52.99/month.
- There are two options for the business plan: Medium and Small teams pay $22.99/month, and Full-Fledged Suite with all Apps $79.99/month.
NinjaMock is a fast and easy way to create mockups. The free version includes about 200 elements, which is great for beginners. It’s simple to use and has interactive elements that can be used on mobile or the web. It’s available on all major platforms, including IOS, Android, and Windows. You can share and edit designs easily using unique links that enable real-time collaboration. It is expensive for small businesses, but it is worth the effort.
- Use powerful mockup tools to easily design complex screen flows and screens.
- There is no need to keep a separate sheet to record comments. Feedback can be added directly to the project.
- For a more personal look and feel, customize and use advanced features.
- Easy export, sharing, and managing projects. Keep track of their status.
- The only online tool with a vector editor. To visualize anything, you can use icons, shapes, and freehand paths.
- Begin with low-fidelity sketch elements and design elements. Then move on to high-fidelity design using realistic elements. This will save time and increase productivity.
- You get one project (200 elements) free of charge.
- Pro – This subscription is for one user who wants to create professional wireframes. It comes with unlimited elements and export features. The cost for the monthly subscription is $7/month or $5/month annually.
- Team – Unlimited access for up to 200 users. User permissions, export, and all other features.
- Edu – This package is for educational institutions. It includes all team features at a discounted rate of up to 70%.
If you’re a beginner or overwhelmed by all the features and elements in full-fledged apps, this is a good one to start with. Wireframe.cc is a web-based app that creates wireframes in minutes. It doesn’t require installation. This app is perfect if you have an idea that you want to capture and sketch before it’s too late! Drag and drop are all that you need to make it easy to use. Annotating wireframes can be done while you add images, headings, and shapes to your drawings. Wireframe.cc allows you to instantly export, share, and edit your work amongst your team.
- Two types of templates are available: mobile and browser.
- As you draw, adjust the canvas by changing the size, fill color, grid size, and so forth.
- You can easily collaborate online and share your work.
- Any level of detail can be achieved in your drawing.
- There is no learning curve – an excellent tool for anyone who doesn’t have any experience with UI design.
- You can choose to use the keyboard if you are not comfortable with the mouse; wireframe provides easy keyboard shortcuts.
- This app is compatible with Windows, web app (desktop), and Android (mobile).
- Smart guides are intuitive and context-sensitive. They appear when you’re in need of them and then disappear when you don’t.
There are two types:
- The basic version is free. You can use all basic drawing options, bookmark your work and share it with the unique URL. You can use Single-page wireframes without the need for a user account.
- Premium – Premium offers two modes: editor and preview. Private accounts and dashboards can be created by users with access wireframes, master pages, and clickable wireframes. Shareable links are also available. You can also have revisions and export options. There are three sorts of premium plans available for you:
- Solo – $16/month, $144/year for single-user access, unlimited revisions and projects, export (PDF/PNG), user logo, and export (PDF/PNG).
- Trio – $39/month, $390/year for three users, unlimited revisions and projects, export (PDF/PNG), user logo, and export (PDF/PNG).
- Enterprise – $99/month, $990/year with unlimited customers, unlimited projects, revisions, export (PDF/PNG), and a user logo.
Cacoo is a feature-rich online diagram and flowchart tool. Cacoo’s powerful features allow your team to work remotely or in one room. They can also edit and design simultaneously. Everybody can view and edit simultaneously, track changes, and exchange diagrams via chats, comments, and video calling. Cacoo is easy to use and offers some of the most useful templates. Cacoo allows you to create custom visuals and network diagrams.
- Cacoo allows you to add embedded diagrams and import AWS architectures into Cacoo, which makes it easier to edit and sync.
- It’s an online tool. Hence, you don’t need to install it or create a Cacoo account in order to use it.
- Cacoo can import and edit Visio files securely.
- It integrates seamlessly with other apps such as AWS, Google Drive, and Dropbox.
- Not development and testing teams can use Cacoo, but also marketing, product management, and design teams. It allows them to create visuals and edit, comment on, or track projects.
There are three plans available:
- Cacoo is free – unlimited users, 6 sheets and access to templates and shapes, real-time edit, PNG exports, and comments are all available.
Free trial available for both the Team and Pro versions
- Pro – $5/month if paid annually, $6/month if paid monthly with one user. Unlimited sheets and export options are there.
- Team – $5/month if paid annually, $6/month if paid monthly. Unlimited sheets, export options, and revision history are all available.
UXPin is a great tool for beginners in wireframing. It has an intuitive interface that includes a toolbar with all the essential components. UXPin comes with a set of UI elements you can drag and move so you can quickly create detailed wireframes. To create wireframes, you can use Sketch or Photoshop to integrate them with Photoshop. This will allow you to make high-fidelity designs. UXPin offers unique features such as presenting to the team and handing over design specs to developers. You can also add interactions.
- The preview feature allows for design, review, approval, and documentation to be completed simultaneously. This makes it possible to hand off faster.
- Top companies such as Microsoft, HBO, and PayPal use it.
- Preview allows you to live present and document a working prototype.
- UXPin is browser-based and works on all computers. It doesn’t require any additional software.
- Rapid prototyping software that allows you to quickly prototype your ideas and collaborate with others.
- Pre-built design elements, material design, Bootstrap user interfaces, and user flows for iOS app interfaces.
The free version doesn’t exist, but you can start with a free trial on all the different plans:
- Basic – $19/user/month with unlimited users and prototypes, export, version history. Interactions. States.
- Advanced – $29/user/month for expressions, variables and conditional logic.
- Professionals – $69/month with priority support and advanced security roles, permissions, and design systems.
- Enterprise – The price depends on the project requirements. It includes unlimited users, training, onboarding, design systems, and roles, as well as advanced security.
Sketch has been mentioned many times. Here it is again! The sketch is the best macOS wireframe tool. It’s lightweight and vector-based. Sketch does not have pre-built UI components. However, you can create them in the app and reuse them. To quickly create basic wireframes, you can download third-party UI kits.
- It is easy to use by any size team – freelancers or large teams. Anyone can learn Sketch.
- Cloud workspace allows to share documents with collaborators or the team. This facilitates faster feedback.
- You can add many plugins and integrations to your application for animating and real-time design.
- Access to shared styles and symbols, resizing options, and multiple artboards can be accessed. You can also export multiple images to one file.
- Prototype links allow you to test and share ideas, allowing the design process to flow.
The free version doesn’t exist, but you can get a 30-day free trial with all features for just $9/user/month. You can grab Sketch at $9/user/month, or $99/month/user.