* Check out whether the web hosting company has dedicated servers. It is always better to go for reputed companies that have established themselves as reliable and secure hosting provider.
* In case your web hosting company offers domain registration, make sure that they are ready to register a domain name according to your preference.
* Ask your web hosting company on what platform will they host your web site. Windows operation system, though a bit more expensive, ensures more security than Linux or any other platforms.
* A secure web hosting company will regularly monitor their server as well as their clients site for any kind of loopholes in the security measures.
* Make sure that the ecommerce transactions are well covered under Secure Sockets Layer or SSL.
* Make sure that the server of your web hosting service provider is managed and well protected by heavy duty firewalls.