1. In ASP.NET Web Application, there is a connection between URL and Page. For example, if you request a page test.aspx from the server then this page must be on the disk otherwise it will give 404 - page not found error.
2. In ASP.NET MVC Application, there is no connection between URL and page that you found on the disk. Instead of page a URL connects to a controller action (A Controller is responsible for sending the response back to a user who makes the request. Controller is just a C# class file. ) instead of a page on the disk.
3. In ASP.NET Web Application, Requests are mapped to pages. In ASP.NET MVC Application ,request are mapped to controller actions.
4. ASP.NET Web Application is content-centric and MVC Application is logic centric.
5. Special kind of configuration like URL rounting requires to run ASP.NET MVC application on IIS 5.0, IIS 5.1, IIS 6.0.